Brent Saner on 6 Nov 2007 16:08:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hacking the XBOX

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] hacking the XBOX
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:08:18 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=WxF9IAyPyUtdruhTfg7udBHAgq629QJhitMtzhehXoI=; b=mGcp5xvbLpSj+c0wVSPAVIDXl/m5Swx6uHknlKrvPAwrCeLgqYvlCN+U/7nlktRRP312ELdHvE8Biv2sz9idWTB1s2+ntrhYUOnB7zFJBaJYNV/fAdt/iHCN3OcG9krGbSeCQnpjXOI3y4m3vZo0urIkhY2KBziPMhehSN2m+GM=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

1. well, even if you do the modchip, you still have to run the exploit to flash the CMOS and xbox-BIOS. i think they developed some way to accomplish this without the buffer exploit, but it was a very expensive chip and involved some hardwiring flashing or something. i, obviously, did not pay much attention to that method since i wasn't even using a modchip :) the "you need service" message usually denotes a bummed flash. i think gentoox's site has a liveCD (but make sure you burn it to high-end DVD-R so the xbox drive can read it) that can restore the original bios....

2. well, like i said, you have to regardless. : )

3. good! 1.3 is one of the easiest to hack, purportedly. i think you have the most options with that one. as long as it isn't 1.6