Matt Ayres on 6 Nov 2007 20:12:46 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Hello!

Brian Vagnoni wrote:
Just for the record, and per e-week not sure where they got their data don't have the latest print version front me. But they say linux server sales are tanking and windows server sales are on the rise.

Marketing for Windows is getting very strong. Microsoft has these "hosting partner events" all around the country where they provide hands on demos of their latest software. The next IIS also has PHP support built-in which is meant to entice customers that normally would have chosen a Linux server. One of my vendors is really trying to push Microsoft on me, to the point where I received a bunch of free licenses sponsored by Microsoft. To say the least, I was not impressed.. while wearing my sysadmin hat. With the business hat on there is a huge demand for Windows based services these days. One area where Microsoft really has an edge is in the SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) industry -- services such as hosted exchange and hosted sharepoint are some of the earliest and most prominent SaaS offerings.

Regards,
Matt