Art Alexion on 8 Nov 2007 19:06:44 -0000

[PLUG] lm-sensors & knoppix

If I am on a totally wrong track, I welcome all suggestions (including "beat
it, kid").

I am trying to diagnose what is wrong with an older NetVista desktop that (1)
thinks it has a bad fan, and (2) can't find the OS.  These are "I refuse to
boot" messages in series.

Both the CPU and power supply fans seem to be working.  If I tell it to ignore
the fan problem and boot, I can boot with knoppix.

So I am installing lm-sensors to find out what's up with the fan and maybe see
if the problems are related in some way.

I set up lm-sensors before, but can't remember what kind of interface I used
to be able to read the sensor data.

Any suggestions?