Eugene Smiley on 9 Nov 2007 00:29:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail

jeff wrote:
I get mail on 5 different machines using POP.  I understand I should be
using IMAP but it's not an option.

This statement is crazy. You use what fulfills the needs you have. I used to run IMAP on my server for me and POP for my wife. Then I had a snafu with an upgrade that forced me to reinstall. The install had a bug that overwrote the home partition wiping out the user dirs but left the samba share files untouched.

I lost 4 years of email there. I decided I didn't need the features of IMAP and went back to POP. I only access my mail from my laptop. I certainly can't imagine having 5 IMAP accounts. I can see myself with 4 POP and one IMAP account, keeping copies of important emails archived on the IMAP account.