Mike Leone on 12 Nov 2007 01:36:14 -0000

Re: [PLUG] remote-ish mail

Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thursday, 08 November 2007 20:04, jeff wrote:
>> Morgan Jones wrote:
>>> If I understand your question--it really depends on how the server
>>> stores your mail.  Is Thunderbird reading  your store directly (ie
>>> /var/spool/mail/username?  If so, mutt will work well for you.
>> I pop via the main machine.
>> So I guess I need either a CLI reader that will read Thunderbird mail or
>> a server to fetch/reformat/serve it for the other computers I use.  I
>> prefer to not install a server but might if there's no other way.
>
> I could be wrong in the instance of t-bird/mutt, but it has been my
> understanding the pointing different readers at the same mail mbox or maildir
> store was a bad thing as they would create indexes and things that could
> break the ability of the other program to access the mail.

Nah, I do it all the time. Mutt just tells you that the mail folder was
externally modified; re-reads it, and off you go. Thunderbird doesn't
tell you, it just re-reads it.

I do it with mutt over ssh from work, (and sometimes via webmail with
Squirrelmail, from work, if I want to see an attached image), and T-bird
locally on the LAN, using a Courier IMAP server.

> Of course, the easiest solution is webmail.  I don't like any version of it I
> have tried, but it solves the problem of accessing mail from a variety of
> places without setting up an IMAP server.

Do both - set up your own IMAP server, with a webmail front-end. Best of
all worlds. :-)