Jon Nelson on 19 Nov 2007 18:59:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Perl backticks/system question

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 13:47 -0500, Michael Greb wrote:

> Jon Nelson wrote:
> > When I run the perl script (which in turn runs the bash script) I get
> > the syntax error.  If I manually run the bash script and provide it with
> > the arguments, in the same format that quotemeta does, I get no errors.
>
> Interesting... and my initial appraisal of your use of quotemeta was
> wrong, I was thinking you were trying to use some shell meta characters
> in there ;)
>
> What about using open to execute the script and read the output?
> Unfortunately, I don't expect the outcome would be different.  How much
> work is this shell script doing?  What about just reimplementing that in
> perl... /me runs

I tried using open() and got the same results.  The script is really
nothing but a one-liner that caused more errors when I tried to run it
from within perl:

    #!/bin/sh
    IFS=$"\n"
    strings $1 | egrep -i "^[a-z]{1}:.*$2$"