Matthew Rosewarne on 20 Nov 2007 22:56:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Android Forums

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Louis Kratz wrote:
> Java has taken off in the mobile market for a variety of reasons.
> Their sale of running anywhere was good in the beginning, but whats
> kept J2ME popular is its abstraction of the user interface.  If you
> develop for a phone, you typically need to make your application
> compliant with 80-90% of the carrier's devices, or they won't sell
> your app.  The J2ME platform abstracts annoyances such as screen size,
> making menus scroll, key input, and phone call interrupts.  This makes
> development really easy.  While you could abstract such an API to
> compile with, the virtual machine seems to have won this battle.

The abstraction is of course a necessity when it comes to developing one app
to run on lots of different devices.  However, just abstracting the UI and
phone stack doesn't at all require something on the order of a VM.  Apple,
Trolltech, and others (not sure about GTK) are have device-independent app
frameworks written in compiled languages (ObjC & C++, respectively), so there
isn't really any upside to having a VM, only extra overhead.

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Josh Goldstein wrote:
> Java compiles itself, and it has for years now.

You know what full-well what I mean. :P  VM bytecode is no substitute for
actual machine language.