Josh Goldstein on 20 Nov 2007 14:15:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Android Forums

Java compiles itself, and it has for years now.

----- Original Message ----
From: Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:15:36 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Android Forums

On Monday 19 November 2007, Brian Vagnoni wrote:
>  Another question if you got a free phone, and service(including wimax
> broadband) would you care about ad's popping up on your phone?

I want (and have) a phone that makes phone calls.  I don't really want my
phone to do much (if anything) else.

And the use of Java on Linux seems fairly ludicrous to me.  There may have
been good reasons to use Java when there were lots of different phone OS's
and hardware platforms, but since just about everything runs some sort of
Linux-on-ARM/XScale nowadays, why not just compile?

%!PS: I personally am more interested in what Trolltech is doing with Qtopia
(which has existed for a while now), but they don't have nearly the kind of
marketing power that Google does.