Josh Goldstein on 21 Nov 2007 03:37:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Android Forums

>> Java compiles itself, and it has for years now.

>You know what full-well what I mean. :P  VM bytecode is no substitute for actual machine language.

I agree it isn't, but I wasn't talking about bytecode.
Java has had a JIT compiler for years now, that generates machine code.
Check out these results: http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=allâ=all
Unless I'm misreading that chart, Java looks like it's doing better than a _lot_ of other languages.