Matthew Rosewarne on 21 Nov 2007 19:22:43 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Unicode headers on Ubuntu are in libicu36-dev

On Wednesday 21 November 2007, TuskenTower wrote:
> If you ever unfortunate to see "error: unicode/uchar.h: No such file
> or directory" and can't for the life of you figure out what package
> the unicode header files are in, they are in libicu36-dev.  You would
> figure that libunicode-dev would have what you are looking for, but
> no, libicu36-dev is the right one.  Googling for my error turned up
> garbage.  So I'm hoping that this post will help someone else in the
> future.

One of the most fantastically-useful programs in Debian (and Ubuntu) is
apt-file.  It downloads the lists of what files are in what packages and
makes a searchable DB.  Unlike dpkg --listfiles or --search, it knows about
every package in the APT repository, not just the packages you have
installed.

Update the list of packages & files:
	$> apt-file update

What's in libicu36-dev?:
	$> apt-file show libicu36-dev
	libicu36-dev: usr/bin/derb
	libicu36-dev: usr/bin/genbrk
	libicu36-dev: usr/bin/gencnval
	(and so on...)

Where the hell is unicode/uchar.h???:
	$> apt-file search unicode/uchar.h
	libicu36-dev: usr/include/unicode/uchar.h