George A. Theall on 27 Nov 2007 03:00:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RSS feed server

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:43:00PM -0500, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:

> I may be misunderstanding that, but I was thinking of a cache that archives
> the *entire* feed, not just the last n entries.
> Say the site has a feed with the latest 10 entries in it.  The cache pulls
> down all 10.  Some time later, the feed is checked again.  The cache should
> not replace the 10 existing entries with the 10 new entries, but instead add
> any new entries to the existing ones.  That way, another device can pull,
> say, the last 100 (or even 1000) entries from the cache.

I just set up something like this using Gregarius,
http://gregarius.net/.  I had been using a browser plugin but am
transitioning to another approach so I can go away for a period of time
and not lose any entries and so I can filter out certain types of
entries automatically.

Gregarius stores entries in a database and supports updating them
periodically via a cron job, as described in
http://wiki.gregarius.net/index.php/Updating_feeds_with_cron.  It also
has several plugins for added functionality, including several which I
still need to sort through for filtering.

Hope this helps,

George
--
theall@tifaware.com