Claude M. Schrader on 28 Nov 2007 18:38:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ssh disconnect weirdness

On 11:49 Sun 25 Nov     , W. Chris Shank wrote:
>    On other servers, if the connection is
>    inactive for more than I few minutes the session is closed. I suspect
>    the later is due to a 3rd party firewall port-forward (ie: watchguard
>    or firebox), but I'm not totally sure. But I do get this on some boxes
>    with a Linux firewall, so is there a setting I should be looking for?

Chris,
you are correct - most firewalls time out inactive connections after some
time. The below config in ~/.ssh/config will enable tcp keepalives to
prevent this.
Claude

 $ cat ~/.ssh/config
 KeepAlive           yes