Robert Spangler on 28 Nov 2007 23:29:26 -0000

Re: [PLUG] APT and RPM Packager Lookup Tables

On Wed November 28 2007 16:48, JP Vossen wrote:

>  From: Robert Spangler <lazydog@zoominternet.net>
>
>  On Wed November 28 2007 02:07, JP Vossen wrote:
>   > > I just got around to converting my package manager cheat sheet to
>   > > HTML and putting it up on my site.  Please let me know if you find
>   > > any errors...
>   >
>   > Not an error but to avoid being prompted every time you run yum
>   > install/remove <package>  there is the '-y' switch that answers yes
>   > for you at the prompt.
>
>  Hummm.  Good point.  (Likewise the yes command.)  However, I think it
>  requires a bit more thought.  My knee-jerk reaction to this is that
>  anyone who is technically aware enough to know how to use something like
>  this without getting bitten will already know about -y, or at least
>  figure it out.

No awareness needed if one reads the documentation.
Is that not the golden rule of Linux?

>  IIRC APT only prompts if:
>  * Packages other than those explicitly specified on the command line
>  will be installed, e.g. to satisfy dependencies
>  * Un-authenticated packages will be installed
>  * Packages will be removed, due to a conflict or newer package
>  superseding an older one somehow
>
>  I forget if yum is "smart" like that, or if it always asks blindly.
>
>  Obviously, the point of asking for user confirmation is that what was
>  given on the command line is not always what will actually be done.
>  Personally, I think it's a *really bad idea* to -y something like this,
>  e.g., in cron, and I don't do it.  Those who are determined to shoot
>  themselves in the foot can always find a way, I don't need to hand out
>  bullets.  :-)

OK, I'm not really sure why so far everyone thinks the command line switch is
such a bad idea.  Mostly because what I'm reading here the ones
complaining/yelling the most against it don't use it on a daily basis.

YUM is safe.  To date, I have not had any issues with YUM.  YUM has safeguards
built in that protect the base install of the OS from being updated by a 3rd
party repo, does ATP have this?  I don't know as I don't use ATP which means
I am in no position to comment on this.

YUM will install missing dependencies as needed, but again the safe guard will
not allow third party software to replace base OS software.  Since YUM does
protect the base OS I have no problems installing software using the "-y"
switch.

>  Having said all that, thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it,
>  even if that isn't apparent.  :-)

We are one big happy family.  :)

--

Regards