Matthew Rosewarne on 29 Nov 2007 00:46:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] APT and RPM Packager Lookup Tables

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Robert Spangler wrote:
> YUM is safe.  To date, I have not had any issues with YUM.  YUM has
> safeguards built in that protect the base install of the OS from being
> updated by a 3rd party repo, does ATP have this?  I don't know as I don't
> use ATP which means I am in no position to comment on this.

dpkg packages can have the "essential" flag.  Trying to remove an "essential"
package will result in dpkg being very cautious and asking you to type out a
sentence to confirm, so you can't accidentally "yes" your way into a broken
system.

APT uses cryptographic signatures to verify that the package you're installing
comes from a source you trust, and will prompt you before installing any
untrusted packages.

%!PS: ATP has been superceded by glycerol, it's recommended you use that
instead.  Careful, it's can be slippery.