Mike Leone on 29 Nov 2007 02:16:30 -0000

[PLUG] Can't seem to reinstall grub

So I have this Dell Inspiron 600m laptop that dual boots Windows and Kubuntu. Through my own stupidity, I need to completely remake my Windows partition, and so of course I lost grub.

So I boot with a Knoppix CD, and do this: (I booted into text mode)

fdisk -l
-> I see that /dev/hda1 is WinXP, and /dev/hda2 is Linux (with /dev/hda5 as swap). That's all the partitions. Pretty simple, no?

No ...

mount -t ext3 -o rw /dev/hda2 /mnt
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/hda

-> which tells me that /dev/hda: Not found or not a block device.

So, thinking that perhaps Knoppix likes specifying things as UNIONFS, I retry, using /UNIONFS/dev/hda all the way through. Still no joy.

Then I try

grub
root (hd0,1)

-> Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Then I tried (still in grub):

find /boot/grub/stage1

Error 15: File not found

<grrrr>

Anyone? I can read /boot/grub/menu.lst, where it says "root (hd0,1)". I just can't seem to fix grub ...

Thanks