K.S. Bhaskar on 30 Nov 2007 19:32:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless Broadband with Fedora 7?

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: fljohnson3@isp.com, "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Wireless Broadband with Fedora 7?
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 14:32:00 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=QJoyMhe4E3gGU74IPIcFlvU5FR8MzmMphxRlEeFG8DU=; b=gmmlOgKiwtRnCKsTdThRdS9aDRYQcwHmnrG6L8k9zHk/fdHp0d42slahh9r0pu41KZMZrkI5gLTkaK/zNAWzNdXTGk+rOVw3Yv6tGDcpAfX8KTo0Xg9BjMXxtE3A0/Af77QMgGZ1wuOnotwyZ/eCN4Jvjs6hFE/ta8yoBQSlGPE=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I have been very happy with my Verizon service.  It has service just
about anywhere in the US where I have traveled, the exception being
Ukiah, CA.  I even found a weak but usable signal on the Kona coast of
Hawai'i, where there is not much other than lava beds, range land and
the occasional resort.

Bandwidth does vary depending on time and place - during an evening at
Phila airport on a day where there were planes backed up all over, and
at a hotel near Washington National Airport, my data rates were
comparable to not-very-good dial-up.  But most of the time, it's like
a good home DSL connection.

My PCMCIA card worked well with Linux (had to activate on Windows),
but it did have to make multiple tries to connect - as many as 10-20
when I was in Hawai'i, Philadelphia airport and in Arlington, VA.

I pay $47 for it, but I get the service through my employer, and that
includes a corporate discount for a large public corporation.

I would consider it for a wireline replacement if I were a road
warrior living out of suitcase and didn't have a home and family/

-- Bhaskar