jeff on 3 Dec 2007 14:45:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
0. While I have no real preference when it comes to the current crop of AMD/Intel CPUs, there is absolutely no way you could convince me to get an AMD-based desktop/laptop system at this point.

Ah.  Fortunately I wasn't.
Objection heard and noted.

market, I still don't want my GUI bogging down my pc.  No Vista, no
Compiz, no KDE, no eye candy (except my wife and dog).  I use a solid
color background for the desktop.

I've never quite understood that outlook.

That's ok, I've never understood people who use Vista or Compiz.
I almost had a brain hemorrhage when people on the Treo list started going NUTS over `pretty' cases for the thing.

Unless you need an extra few FPS in a game (and you don't, since you run Linux), or are trying to do some sort of overwhelmingly-intensive task (like editing ultra-high-res video) on a machine that isn't up to it, what is all that horsepower for?

Interesting question.
Since my days of being independently wealthy are over, I can't purchase a new pc as often as I'd like. The expiration of my last system hastened the process, although I was overdue.

I would've gone for a less expensive unit but my wife observed that I do spend rather a lot of time with my computers and it would make sense to buy something really nice that will serve me well for quite a few years. Smart woman. Bad taste in men.

I wanted something that, to quote the man in the pet shop, `...would go VOOM.'

Lastly, it turned out that I spent way less for this than I would for almost anything else that was already built.

I'd much rather use a little bit more of my machine's resources in order to save myself time and effort.

I don't find that XFCE cripples me in any way.
KDE is prettier though. I have a work desktop with PCLinuxOS, which uses KDE. Not sure I'd want to switch but might try just to see what happens.

%!PS: I've been going 9 years on my P3, running Windows 2000 and later Linux

Just as you mentioned saving yourself time and effort via KDE, you could do both with a newer processor.

But if it works for you, that's great.