Matthew Rosewarne on 3 Dec 2007 19:21:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

On Monday 03 December 2007, jeff wrote:
> That's ok, I've never understood people who use Vista or Compiz.
> I almost had a brain hemorrhage when people on the Treo list started
> going NUTS over `pretty' cases for the thing.

Definitely agreed.  Not only does that kind of thing tax the hardware, but it
tends to distract the user, and I usually find the effects to be fairly
garish.  I don't know much about Vista, but what I've seen from Compiz seems
to indicate a greater concern for maximising bling instead of utility or
tasteful aesthetics.

I was thinking more of a more powerful DE such as GNOME or KDE, which I find
make managing the chaos of my desktop somewhat easier than the minimal WMs.

> Interesting question.
> Since my days of being independently wealthy are over, I can't purchase
> a new pc as often as I'd like.  The expiration of my last system
> hastened the process, although I was overdue.
>
> I would've gone for a less expensive unit but my wife observed that I do
> spend rather a lot of time with my computers and it would make sense to
> buy something really nice that will serve me well for quite a few years.
>   Smart woman.  Bad taste in men.
>
> I wanted something that, to quote the man in the pet shop, `...would go
> VOOM.'

Well, when I did build my machine originally, I spent quite bit of attention
(and money) to make sure it would last and ... go VOOM.  Probably the best
single decision I made was to get SCSI disks (running at 10k RPM) instead of
IDE, which made an enormous difference in the responsiveness, especially as
more demand was put on the CPU.  I'm not sure whether there's a similar
benefit to using SCSI over SATA, since I haven't kept track of this sort of
thing.

> I don't find that XFCE cripples me in any way.
> KDE is prettier though.  I have a work desktop with PCLinuxOS, which
> uses KDE.  Not sure I'd want to switch but might try just to see what
> happens.

Yeah, it's not that any particular thing is "crippling", but when the various
parts of the desktop are well-integrated and similar, I find that the
conveniences add up.  I used to be a diehard fluxboxer, but eventually I
realised that it became a real pain when I tried to do more than a few tasks
on it at once.  Also, when you start up any GNOME/KDE app, you're loading
much of what the full DE would load, so I found there really wasn't lot of
difference in terms of resource usage.

> Just as you mentioned saving yourself time and effort via KDE, you could
> do both with a newer processor.

Well, that's mostly about being inadequately-funded more than crunched for
time. Also, I suppose I'd rather not have to bother with setting up a new
machine until I have to.