Mike Leone on 4 Dec 2007 02:49:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] hardware - a deal I couldn't refuse

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
machine that isn't up to it, what is all that horsepower for? I'd much

Geek street cred. :-) Seriously. I thought about upgrading to a dual-CPU mobo (something 64 bit, AMD or Intel) with > 4G RAM for my Windows desktop machine, to edit Photoshop files. (no, Gimp is *not* the same, or not to me). Mind you, my P4 3GHz, 2G RAM machine is quite adequate to the tasks I use it for. But the extra speed and RAM would be nice, and I'd have bragging rights ....

My Linux server, doing email, web (for webmail), a bit of SAMBA sharing and FTP runs just fine on it's AMD Duron 1.6GHz, 640M RAM ...