Aaron Mulder on 6 Dec 2007 16:52:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Eating Crow with OOO

  • From: "Aaron Mulder" <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Eating Crow with OOO
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 11:52:38 -0500
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=2oqpZqZ1qcuWwFpU9opl+009f79H1CoAQV9lXGlGMIU=; b=x9P0ZtpuljPh7jFUPpATbgtAF/8xwWpLzE8jNAZznWup/QN+f7r3QxBcVg1W3PD2Rm4/fqTzpBglyptJgglmtC6kC0Ti+NvE4mqttpXhUsxUsLd9wk5Dlzme7Tq3tjtzry1X6i6WBOLXx66AdiUlKCajUTZibv/nFVUeo/PjLi8=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I just did this with a web page containing a big block of fixed-width
data.  I selected all the content of interest, copied it, opened the
OOo spreadsheet program, selected the first cell, and pasted.  It
popped up an import-type dialog that showed the data and defaulted to
a delimiter-based approach where it had a variety of delimiter options
(none of which were applicable).  The trick was to notice the
fixed-width radio button on the screen and select that.  Then I could
either click or drag & drop to select the column boundaries in the
data preview area of the dialog.  And finally, clicking the column
headers in the preview area let me select the data type for the column
-- though if you want them all to be the same, set the type on the
first column before defining the rest and they'll all default to the
same value.

I didn't try loading an external file (just the cut & paste) but I
would hope it would work sort of the same.

Thanks,
       Aaron