Art Alexion on 6 Dec 2007 17:36:19 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Eating Crow with OOO

On Thursday 06 December 2007 11:52:38 Aaron Mulder wrote:
> I just did this with a web page containing a big block of fixed-width
> data.  I selected all the content of interest, copied it, opened the
> OOo spreadsheet program, selected the first cell, and pasted.  It
> popped up an import-type dialog that showed the data and defaulted to
> a delimiter-based approach where it had a variety of delimiter options
> (none of which were applicable).  The trick was to notice the
> fixed-width radio button on the screen and select that.  Then I could
> either click or drag & drop to select the column boundaries in the
> data preview area of the dialog.  And finally, clicking the column
> headers in the preview area let me select the data type for the column
> -- though if you want them all to be the same, set the type on the
> first column before defining the rest and they'll all default to the
> same value.
>
> I didn't try loading an external file (just the cut & paste) but I
> would hope it would work sort of the same.

Thanks, Aaron.  I didn't think the copy and paste method would work because I
incorrectly assumed that it would put all the data into the top left cell
without asking. I found a command for the external file method, too.  Damn,
it took a long time for the dialog to come up and then for it to commit the
import after I hit the accept button.

Surprised that the field type that the import dialog gives you don't include a
time type (or a date type that includes time data), but I can live with
sorting the time stuff as text.