Matthew Rosewarne on 8 Dec 2007 05:31:44 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam filtering, anyone?

On Friday 07 December 2007, jeff wrote:
> I'm curious as to what we all use on servers (not at home).

While I don't _have_ a mail server, I do have advice for anyone who does and
runs spamassassin on it.  Newer versions of SA have an option to compile
their filtering rules to executable code, which seems to give a dramatic
performance increase.

How to do it in Debian:
Install the re2c package

In /etc/spamassassin/v320.pre, uncomment the line:

	loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::Rule2XSBody

run "sa-compile"

If you change your SA rules, make sure to re-run "sa-compile".  This will be
done daily by cron if you've already run "sa-compile" once and have the
spamassassin cronjob* enabled.

To make sure the cronjob is enabled, look in /etc/default/spamassassin and
verify that "CRON=" is set to something other than "0".

* The spamassassin cronjob runs sa-update to keep the rules up-to-date,
optionally compiles them, and restarts spamd (if running).

For more info on that and other fun spamassassin sundries, look in
/usr/share/doc/spamassassin/