Stephen Gran on 10 Dec 2007 03:22:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert

On Sun, Dec 09, 2007 at 10:05:14PM -0500, Brian Vagnoni said:
> Stephen Gran said:
> >
> >   A pointer to the relevant statute that makes connection to such an AP a
> >   crime of sufficient importance that it warrants prosecution without the
> >   victims consent would be nice.
>
> Though not a lawyer there is plenty of legal presidence out there.
>
> http://www.channel3000.com/technology/2613265/detail.html

Theft (or at least intrusion) into patient records.

> http://www.netstumbler.org/f22/wifi-hacking-goto-jail-8712/

Of 12 entries on that page, exactly one might be about someone merely
accessing an open AP (it's hard to tell since the linked article is a
404, and the rest of the entries appear to be more about scare mongering
than thoughtfulness).

> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/8835

Theft.

> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/8991

Threats and extortion.

> http://www.securityfocus.com/news/9453

Spamming.

> There are many more. Netstumbler folks keep a running list. See second link.

If the 'list' is that people who commit crimes on someone else's network
tend to get caught when standing in front of their house tapping on a
keyboard, that's really not surprising.

I was interested in a relevant statute that said "connecting to an open
AP that is not labelled as public and free" is a crime that would get
you prosecuted without the victims consent.  You have provided me with
a list that says some crooks get caught.

I don't think it's helpful to contribute to general scare mongering, but
I was also just curious if you could point to an actual statute to back
up your claims.  If you can't, that's fine and I'll bow out of the
conversation now.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Fortune finishes the great quotations,  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | #2   If at first you don't succeed,     |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | think how many people  you've made      |
|                                | happy.                                  |