Brian Vagnoni on 10 Dec 2007 04:01:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam filtering, anyone?

Between my sonic wall 1260 firewall, the Kerio Mail Server with built-in spamassassin and outlooks own filters I don't have too much trouble.

Brian Vagnoni

From: jeff [mailto:jeffv@op.net]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:56:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Spam filtering, anyone?

Mike Leone wrote:
> We use SpamKiller (I think that's the name), which integrates with
> McAfee that the Devil Spawn email we use (aka Lotus Notes). In 3 months,
> I don't think I've seen 1 piece of spam ...

Wow. That's impressive.

>> The server is (ack.... pbthlllllt) Exchange 2003.
>
> I liked Ex2003 ...

I was reflexively going to make an Exchange joke but then I realized you
use Lotus. My first real experience was with Lotus, which probably
explains why my backside still hurts whenever anyone says Lotus.

They had a real flair for producing bugs, those wacky Lotus guys. When
we complained, they'd eventually send us a bug fix that would not only
fail to fix the bugs, it would break ten more things.

But you can't complain about software that requires a phalanx of
consultants to implement and double that number to operate. Once,
during a five minute period in which the mail portion remained stable, I
took a look at the database side. I thought my head was going to explode.

Hey.... wait a minute. You're just trying to get me to say something
not mean about MS, aren't you?

No, really, I've been through 5.5, 2000, and 2003 and once we managed to
make them work, they generally didn't stop working. Just don't mention
Brightstor/Arcserve/CA tape backup products for them and we'll be just fine.

> The number of users who used to tell me that they filed stuff in what is
> essentially the garbage never failed to boggle me. Even when I explained
> (in very simple words)

Ah, you probably didn't have any blinky lights.
Users LOVE blinky lights. As does Manglement.

> why this is a brain-dead stupid policy that no
> self-respecting intelligent life form would voluntarily do, they didn't
> want to change ...

did you just answer your own question?

> Jeff, you are the funniest person I have ever seen post on PLUG. Shoot,
> man, you should be writing these as regular columns in some publication
> or blog. I'd subscribe ....

Thank you for the kind words!

I always thought my own reality show would be hilarious. There would be
no script - just some guys with cameras following me around at work.
The material at work writes itself. I'd just have to practice different
`my head is about to explode' faces.

We could start out with a recreation of the Dumb Blonde Manager who
threw a FIT because her bottom desk drawer wouldn't open. Fortunately
my colleague was there to lend a hand when she started to get really
upset. He stepped in and calmly suggested that the drawer would
probably open much better if she removed her foot from in front of it.

And damn if he wasn't dead on with his suggestion. The man has a grasp
of computers that extends far beyond bits and bytes.