Stephen Gran on 10 Dec 2007 17:07:00 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu & Drive Order

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 11:26:29AM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> On Saturday 08 December 2007 17:30:46 Alex Launi wrote:
> > On Dec 8, 2007 5:13 PM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
> > > Do yourself a favour and use UUIDs to identify your drives instead of
> > > device
> > > nodes.  It makes it much the system much more robust in the face of
> > > changing
> > > hardware or drivers.
> >
> > Ubuntu should do this by default. OP should be fine for adding/removing
> > drives. To get a drive's UUID,
> > ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid
>
> OK.  Should this also be the convention for entries for remote samba shares in
> fstab?

As far as I know, network shares don't have uuids.  The point of the
uuid trick is only to generate a consistent naming scheme for locally
attached media.  udev rules are another way of doing the same thing,
although there is slightly more overhead in that approach.

Once a machine has figured out what the disk is supposed to do, mounted
it in the right place, and started exporting it via cifs/nfs/whatever,
it is fairly guaranteed that a request for it by network path will be
appropriately answered.
|  Stephen Gran                  | ... relaxed in the manner of a man who  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | has no need to put up a front of any    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | kind.   -- John Ball, "Mark One: the    |
|                                | Dummy"                                  |