Bob Heise on 12 Dec 2007 02:43:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert

  • From: Bob Heise <heise2k@gmail.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Wireless access - from a security expert
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 03:51:58 +0100
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:from:reply-to:to:subject:date:user-agent:references:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:message-id; bh=b6ngEvtK4MzxPNjSHMoR0LzRxJOvGX3QHwwOmnGIHlM=; b=mbPqEqG3ikH4gleJOZCIlh1dB/RIKvRxcwrh6O3kStD9QQRCfM2T9tjNtNFQNcIcmQwnlbzNQ6dL171z1I5omqHhMua3sCatBQhh/cHV9OlZSzdp6IeaGDoPXGoGHUv39SBObRvzxHaD1tHfua0o36ijHSlayxAc5n4pP3+LUWo=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Den Monday 10 December 2007 21.18.48 skrev Matthew Rosewarne:
> On Sunday 09 December 2007, Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> > Say you commit some type of fraud, in the process you break a locked door
> > to gain access to these records in a file cabinet. You may get prosecuted
> > for the fraud and the breaking and entering you may just get hit with the
> > fraud charges. Getting the ip address is like breaking and entering. On
> > an open access point in would be considered a home intrusion. It's theft
> > of service.
>
> It's not breaking and entering if you don't close the door.  If you had one
> of these flimsy wireless encryption schemes and someone breaks it (which is
> quite simple for any malicious user), _THAT_ would be equivalent to
> breaking and entering.  Using an open AP is like walking into a building
> with an open door, which presumably indicates that the owner doesn't mind
> you coming in.

Except, it's more than a door. The AP is broadcasting out to where you are.
It is more like someone having a barbecue, and throwing pieces of chicken
over the fence. Do they have any grounds to be angry that you catch and eat
it? Even if they have a limited supply of chicken they can cook and eat?

-Bob