Mike Leone on 16 Dec 2007 16:33:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Procuring Portable Penguin Power while pinching pennies?

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Thursday 13 December 2007, Floyd Johnson wrote:
>> My goal is to acquire a laptop for my mum within a year. She has
>> suggested that, despite having saddled herself with AOL, she'd be
>> willing to learn to use a Linux machine, provided it can be configured
>> to make up for her poor eyesight and provide Internet multimedia so as
>> to catch the TV shows she missed via the broadcast networks' servers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "internet multimedia".  Would that be youtube
> and similar sites?

It (probably) would be watching "Ugly Betty" on the ABC website, for
example. (probably meaning Flash and Shockwave support). Clips on CNN
and Yahoo would probably also fall into this category.

> Otherwise, be prepared with the lack of "simple" TV apps on Linux.  Unless
> you're willing to set up something like Myth, there isn't anything I can
> think of off-hand that not only can record TV but also has a decent GUI.

Watching TV shows online is very different that MythTV.

> For those with less-than-stellar vision, KDE and GNOME both provide
> high-contrast themes.  Default fonts should also be embiggened, of course.

"embiggened". :-)