TuskenTower on 18 Dec 2007 07:30:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] firefox passwords

On Dec 18, 2007 9:40 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Monday 17 December 2007 16:10:15 Andrew Libby wrote:
> > Generally under the .firefox folder in your home there's an area.
> > When I move firefox/ thunderbird to a new machine, I generally just pick
> > up the entire
> > .firefox, .mozilla, or .thunderbird folder in my home directory
> > and move it to the new machine.
>
> On Monday 17 December 2007 16:06:42 Alex Launi wrote:
> > Just copy over your whole profile, take it all. Extensions, bookmarks,
> > cookies, everything. Take it.
> >

> I was hoping to avoid this an only copy over bookmarks, saved form data and
> passwords.  I wanted to get a compromise between a clean install and not
> losing passwords from obscure sites that I rarely visit or haven't been
> prompted for a password in years.  I guess this is the best solution, though.

Having moved .mozilla and .thunderbird from MANY machines to another,
I vouch for Andrew's suggestion. However, the profile information gets
screwed up sometimes and I always forget how I fixed it the last time.
 I believe that when my profiles get screwed up, I simply ..... well,
let me look.

aha!  I have two profiles.
amul@linux-dev:~$ ls -la .mozilla/firefox/
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 4 amul amul 4096 2007-04-18 09:50 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 amul amul 4096 2007-05-30 12:31 ..
drwx------ 8 amul amul 4096 2007-12-18 10:11 foewn11m.default
drwxr-xr-x 2 amul amul 4096 2007-04-18 09:44 j3rya3ut.default
-rw------- 1 amul amul 3747 2007-12-17 13:08 pluginreg.dat
-rw-r--r-- 1 amul amul   94 2007-04-18 09:44 profiles.ini

Judging from profiles.ini, you should edit that.
amul@linux-dev:~$ cat .mozilla/firefox/profiles.ini
[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=foewn11m.default

As you can see, I was being stupid (yet again) when I did my current
setup and probably clobbered everything in foewn11m.default with
everything from j3rya3ut.default (my old profile).  I don't remember
whether or not I ran Firefox before or after I copied over the
.mozilla directory.  I assume I ran it before I copied everything
over.

Thunderbird follows a similar pattern.  What I need to look into is
how this nonsense differs when you go from Mac OS X to Linux.  I did
haul all my thunderbird email (which was copied out from Outlook using
Outlook Express as a bridge) from my corp winDOwS desktop.  So I
assume everything looked the same on disk.

HTH
Amul