Art Alexion on 18 Dec 2007 14:59:39 -0800

[PLUG] Adding new drives to fstab

I don't really understand the new UUID method of adding drives to fstab.  I
just added a bunch of new drives to this computer and I'm not sure how to set
them up.

Grub is on /dev/hda I think, but the root OS drive is /dev/sda2 (I think)

I added a SATA dvd-rw, two IDE drives and want to mount /dev/hda1

This is the existing fstab (a the bottom).  I understood the old nomenclature
but not this.

I don't think that /dev/hdb is the cdrom drive anymore.  That's
probably /dev/hde or f or g.

Physically, /dev/hda is the slave on the motherboard IDE controller.  There is
another HD which is the master on that controller.  A third IDE HD is on a
Promise PCI card slot 1, and an IDE DVD-RW on slot 2 (no slaves on the pci
card).  Finally, a SATA DVD-RW on SATA 3.  (sda1 is on SATA 2, and SATA 1 is
for an external SATA.)

I don't remember having trouble with this before.  (pre-SATA, old fstab
nomenclature)

I need help with two things:

	1. how to detect which drive is on which /dev device
	2. how to edit fstab to mount them.
All of the IDE HDs are from a prior system and are formatted with ext3
already.  hda is the old boot drive from this system before I got the SATA
and reinstalled the OS.

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/mapper/chubby-root
UUID=405902eb-75eb-4abb-8900-5bede5cfc601 /               ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda1
UUID=180a1c81-399f-4d2e-b9b8-894151acf627 /boot           ext3    defaults
0       2
# /dev/mapper/chubby-swap_1
UUID=a7f78039-6ce3-4733-af8d-367255be2500 none            swap    sw
0       0
/dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec 0       0