Brian Vagnoni on 6 Jan 2008 21:52:40 -0800

[PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

Sorry just briefly and if you want more info e-mail me off list. If you are currently running a e-mail server on residential Comcast HS they are blocking port 25 on people. So if your mail server suddenly stopped working Sunday morning this is why. There is always port 465 SSL SMTP which people should be using anyway. There are of course ways around it other than DSL and co-location. I called them up and asked them what's up and they told me if they detect even one piece of SPAM coming from your connection they will permanently block it. I have a bridge in New York I want to sell you if you really believe that. Anyway just thought I'd clue people in as we are all Comcast haters here.

I'm already back up. If worst comes to worst could always go back to dsl as live right next to the Rising Sun Verizon CO. I have a loop length of line under a 1000 feet.

Brian Vagnoni

PS Please e-mail me off list or get me on IRC  if you want to discuss this.