holdenergy on 8 Jan 2008 11:25:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sharing an Internet Connection

To Mark, Marty, Stephen, James - I really appreciate the time you put into replying.

Of course I was not very specific about the type of security and logging I am looking for but I think James you hit the nail on the head with the comment about your brother soaking everything up with Bittorrent. We're not dealing with HIPAA or DoD or anything like that.

From your replies it seems there are 2 distinct routes (no pun intended) - one is to use the old desktop machine and load it up with a bunch of NICs but then getting into the guts of tc and fwbuilder would take me years (ask me how long I've been messing with Asterisk....no, on second thoughts don't!).

The other way would be to install DD-WRT onto a router, and there it seems the best method might be to purchase a new Buffalo unit already loaded with the software since I don't currently have a router suitable for that anyway. More expensive than the homebrew method James mentioned but much, much quicker for me.

Once again, thank you all for your insight,

-Andrew

Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:45:58
To:plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] Sharing an Internet Connection

Hi - What might be the quickest/cheapest/easiest way to securely share an internet connection.

Let me explain. In a shared community with only one DSL connection, multiple different entities connected through one DSL connection but requiring that records be kept for each port, so that in the extreme case of a visit from FBI/RIAA etc only that port is an issue. Ideally getting 2 IPs from the DSL provider would be perfect but that adds $$ if they'd even do it.

Furthermore, we don't want one entity soaking up all available bandwidth, so what would be the device to throttle each port to a certain percentage of available, and we actually want to maintain a certain port dedicated for VOIP to ensure quality of service even if the DSL is otherwise at capacity.

I have not seen these features in consumer grade routers and I am not sure how far we have to step up to get it, or is there a Linux solution for which I'd be happy to re-purpose an old PC or laptop.

Thanks for any help,

-Andrew