Brian Stempin on 10 Jan 2008 09:14:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Config Files and Steam Engines

I have to step in and support Matthew on this one.

> to be honest, i feel like this is just Not A Good Idea (TM) that you're
> proposing, matthew. the phrase "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" is every
> sysadmin's motto. there's a reason there's still plenty of servers out
> there still running 2.4 kernel.

I disagree with this.  I, too, am a sysadmin.  I feel that part of my job involves (a) automating as much of my own job as possible (so that I can move on to new, larger projects or onto higher level tasks) and (b) to make everything as uniform as humanly possible in order to aide point a.  I feel that the current state of config files in Linux makes both of these goals difficult to achieve.

I feel that (at least?) 2 things should be made standard: syntax and location.

Syntax:
Matthew pretty much nailed this one already.  There is no good reason that anyone (programmer OR sysadmin) should have to implement or memorize several different config file formats.  It should be standard and easy to implement via shared libraries located on the OS.  Every major OS that has some sort of Group Policy feature has this.  OSX has pList (I'm guessing this is "property list"), and Windows has the registry.  I've done a lot of sysadmin with with both of these systems and was able to do a lot of automation with a small effort.  If I were to attempt some of the same feats in Linux, I'd have to do more work due to the fact that nothing is abstracted for me.  With Windows and OSX, I didn't have to worry about the location of the config file(s) or whether I used the correct config file type:  This was already figured out, documented, and implemented.  Why can't Linux have that same ease-of-administration?  Making Linux easier to administer is not a silly notion or "jumping off a cliff"; it's progress.

Location:
I feel that all config files should have a standard location.  The reason I feel this was is because I feel that I should be able to programatically find any config file on my system.  Perhaps all config files should live in /etc/<app name>/config or something of the sort.  This would make it much easier for a programmer OR a sysadmin to locate a config file and to begin their work. For those people who believe in centralized config dbs, perhaps it should be kept in /var/config (or something of the sort).  Really, all I care about is being able to use simple logic to find a config file.  I don't want to have to read /etc/init.d/wsftpd to find out that the location of the config file was changed by the previous sysadmin or user.  I shouldn't have to do a file search.  I should be able to figure it out using a very simple and quick piece of logic.