Jonathan E. Magen on 18 Jan 2008 09:39:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] DataPortability.org

Actually, no. It would seem that, unlike GNUnet which seeks to
establish a completely new storage network over the Internet, this
project is working toward uniting all the stuff that people already
own but it scattered across different websites.

GNUnet has nothing to do with major, pre-existing social networking
and user-generated content websites like Facebook, YouTube and others.

Chatting with some of the guys online, they do make the point that
it's kind of silly for a person to have so much trouble sharing their
videos with friends simply. Same with photos, music and whatever else.
It's a neat concept but it sounds a mite ambitious. We'll see how it
goes...

On Jan 17, 2008 10:07 PM, Matthew Rosewarne <mrosewarne@inoutbox.com> wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008, Jonathan E. Magen wrote:
> > Don't know if people know about the new video that DataPortability.org
> > put out a few days ago. Very well done video and an interesting
> > concept. It may actually be viable now that Google and Facebook are
> > backing the project. We'll see how it all plays out.
>
> Isn't this essentially the same thing as OpenID+GNUnet?
>
> http://gnunet.org/              (unified, decentralized storage)
> http://openid.net/              (unified, decentralized identity)

Jonathan E. Magen
PHN: 267-242-6288