Toby DiPasquale on 18 Jan 2008 19:51:08 -0800

[PLUG] Crosspost: PostgresSQL replication?

Hi all,

Sorry in advance for the crosspost. I know its bad netiquette but I
wanted to hit the best in Philly with one fell swoop.

We're having an issue with some code we picked up that's tied to
PostgresSQL. This code currently does not run any kind of replication
for its Postgres instance which we find to be unacceptable for what
would seem to be obvious reasons. The kind of replication we'd like to
do is master-slave asynchronous replication, which is quite simple
using MySQL as replication is built in. We've investigated some of the
options for Postgres replication (in particular Slony, but most others
are pretty old) but the best we can come up with so far is
master-slave *synchronous* backup. We'd rather not have to stop the
master while we are backing up to the slave if possible.

Is anyone out there using PostgresSQL in a production environment
using master-slave asynchronous replication? If so, what package/setup
are you using? If anyone's got any info on this I'd really appreciate
it. Thanks in advance :)

--
Toby DiPasquale