W. Chris Shank on 19 Jan 2008 09:08:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] One True OS

-- warning - rant alert --

Who is going to be teaching the students in the Linux lab? You? If
not, is the teacher going to be familiar enough with Linux? Do they
have lesson plans geared towards Linux? What is the plan when 25 kids
are in there and the teacher can't figure out how to print? How about
when they want to use the new scanner that was just donated? Or when
last year's yearbook project doesn't format correctly with OpenOffice?
How about when they want to add a new font for the yearbook? So the
teacher is supposed to be troubleshooting or be contacting you while
25 3rd graders go unsupervised? It will be pandemonium. Oh an how
about when the kids surf to some illicit content - because the net-
nanny software doesn't work on Linux? Wait untill you get that call
from their parents.

You really need to have all this stuff figured out. I've been there.
It's not pretty. We currently support 3 catholic schools in a nearly
identical context. You _can_ make Windows XP work really well for what
they need. Plus, if you go to the right places you can get legal
licenses for XP and Office for next to nothing (seriously - like $10
each). Plus you will know that all the software they are using will
work well (ie: ask the Librarian what they use - it probably requires
MS SQL).

Get the windows desktops under control. You can use Linux on your
server(s), firewall, and other network components quite effectively.
And this will save a LOT of money because the schools don't get
discounts as much on the server stuff or 3rd party web filtering
tools. There is a lot of free software for windows that will help you
get them stabilized. Also, keep track of the saving that Linux
provides on the server/network side. Once everyone's seen how stable
it is and you've earned their trust, you will then have the
credibility to get buy-in for a switch to Linux later. Also, you will
have better understanding of the big picture and may determine that
it's best to leave them as is.

Linux is that it's come a long way in the last few years and is
probably as nearly as good as an Apple. That means that anyone who
could make the transition from Windows to Apple could probably also
make the transition from Windows to Linux. However, if you give the
Apple desktop to someone who is not ready, willing, and able to make
the transition they will be unhappy and will most likely let you know
this every chance they get. This is even worse if you've forced Linux
on them and they don't want it. At least with Apple there is market
pressure also working on your side. So, unless you like to hear people
complain all the time, it won't be worth your trouble. Instead, I
would set an example. Install Linux on your workstation and/or laptop.
Be sure to take this with you when you are fixing things or at
meetings, etc -  and have all the eye candy installed. As users see
that you can function with this - they will start asking you about it.
If you show a good enough example - soon they will ask you to convert
them.

Regarding XP - Microsoft has already been forced to extend XP once for
OEMs -the so-called "C" version. They will most likely do this again
as the June deadline approaches. If they don't - it would be the
opportunity that Linux / Apple needs to gain a foothold in businesses.
I know first hand that forcing Vista on the consumer is driving
adoption of Apple at home. Of my little circle, I'd say 1 in 20 go for
a new Apple computer instead of a new Vista PC - it would probably be
higher if Apple was more affordable. MS isn't stupid, they see what's
happening on the consumer side, I doubt they will repeat it on the
business end. But if they do, I hope that Linux companies can figure
out a way to leverage this opportunity. (Linux Store equivalent to the
Apple Store?) But for your school - you can be certain that XP has
many more years of life,

On Jan 19, 2008, at 8:16 AM, James Barrett wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 09:32:56PM -0500, Ed Ackerman wrote:
>> I have my kids trained, actually they trained themselves on Linux
>> (Fedora
>> Core) XP, W2K, W98, and MAC OSX at school. They don't have a problem
>> switching between XP/W2K/Linux/MAC. They just know some machines
>> function
>> differently or that things are in different menu positions for each
>> OS.
>
> Kids are definitely more technologically apt than their grandparents,
> aunts, uncles and parents.  Often times, programming a VCR is a real
> crisis for most "older folk".  Kids don't use manuals, they just
> "know".
> One of my friends has a granddaughter who uses his computer to play
> games.  She is not old enough to read, and only knows how to type her
> name.  When an error message pops up on the screen she does not know
> what to do and just walks away.
>
> I like to say that I know quite a bit more than the average person in
> regards to "computer-related stuff".  I also like to say that 1 out of
> 10 teenagers presently know way more than I do.  Good thing I don't
> work
> with them!
>
> --
> James Barrett