Jonathan Bringhurst on 22 Jan 2008 04:23:24 -0800

Re: [PLUG] un-obscuring password fields

It looks like Qt's password field (The library that kde uses) is
turned on by the const set from enum QLineEdit::EchoMode and it
doesn't look like there's any trivial way to change it. If you're
really desperate, you can recompile the Qt library and change that
particular switch statement to always default when it encounters one
of the obscure password consts.

In short, it's a security feature and the developers want to make it
hard for you to shoot yourself in the foot. Keep in mind that the
password field functionality also enables "write only" mode so someone
can't copy/paste passwords.

-Jon