James Barrett on 22 Jan 2008 15:27:19 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Adventures in PCMCIA wireless

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 03:54:07PM -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> I finally got a wireless card that was recognized by my wife's kubuntu gutsy
> laptop.  It is an older Dell "B", that uses the "orinoco" chip set.

I have an orinoco gold lying around here somewhere, and used to have a
dell trumobile b.  Same chipset, and the same card as far as Linux is
concerned.  If I can ever find my orinoco and you want it you will have
to pry it from my cold dead fingers, because I wont be letting it go.

The
> first time I tried it it spotted our network along with 3 or 4 more in the
> neighborhood.  As I didn't have the passphrase for out network handy, I
> allowed it to connect to one aptly called "Rayz is Free, <street address>".
> Everything worked fine.

Yeah, the Laptop has a firewall, right?

> After work, I got our passphrase out and tried to connect to our network.  It
> spotted the network but wouldn't connect.  Then after a few tries at manual
> configuration (using the KDE gui), it wouldn't "see" any of the networks.  I
> hacked at it a few more times, and now it doesn't even recognize that the
> card is in there.
>
> Any ideas how to return this kubuntu gutsy machine back to default settings as
> far as PCMCIA wireless?

Try fiddling with pccardctl to eject it, then take it out, put it back
in.  It should just work though, like you said it did with that other
network.  Also, consider trying to set it up manually (iwconfig,
wpasupplicant, and ifconfig, but start with 'iwlist scan') to see if the
problem really is the card.

> Google has not been helpful, largely because I can't seem to craft an
> appropriate query.

This sounds like a configuration problem to me...