Art Alexion on 26 Jan 2008 14:28:13 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Adventures in PCMCIA wireless

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 18:27:06 James Barrett wrote:
> Try fiddling with pccardctl to eject it, then take it out, put it back
> in.  It should just work though, like you said it did with that other
> network.  Also, consider trying to set it up manually (iwconfig,
> wpasupplicant, and ifconfig, but start with 'iwlist scan') to see if the
> problem really is the card.
>
> > Google has not been helpful, largely because I can't seem to craft an
> > appropriate query.
>
> This sounds like a configuration problem to me...

James, thank you very much.  The problem seemed to be twofold.

First, the system tray thing that shows the signal strength bars and allows
you to browse the available networks, just isn't loading, and I am not sure
what it is to load it manually.  This problem is still not solved.
However...

I did the iwlist scan and realized that it was picking up the network.  Dove
into the man pages for iwconfig and wireless and found that maybe I should
have been setting the WEP key (the card does not support WPA) as hexadecimal
instead of ascii.  Went into the KDE network manager and set the key as hex
and bang, the card came to life.

I'd still like to get the tray thing working so that she can browse networks
while travelling.

Thanks for your help.