Brian Vagnoni on 26 Jan 2008 12:02:51 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast & Mail Servers

Ok folks we are up and online with Comcast Business High-speed. I would like
to say it was uneventful, but the first SMC 8014 they brought in was bad.
Other than that however everything else has gone smoothly and I'm happy to
say even with a few pleasant surprises.

The 5 static ip addresses are actually five useable addresses. So instead of
having 5 - 2(gateway & broadcast) I have 5 + 2. It's on a real
255.255.255.248 subnet. The current PTR record reads
Philadelphia.hfc.comcastbusiness.net(assume that means static) minus the
address of course. None of the addresses are Black Listed:

Real-time Black List Analysis of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
No Real-time Black List servers have any information about xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.

sbl.spamhaus.org
-Not listed.

list.dsbl.org
-Not listed.

multihop.dsbl.org
-Not listed.

unconfirmed.dsbl.org
-Not listed.

spam.dnsrbl.net
-Not listed.

blackholes.five-ten-sg.com
-Not listed.

dnsbl.njabl.org
-Not listed.

bl.spamcop.net
-Not listed.

cbl.abuseat.org
-Not listed.

dnsbl.sorbs.net
-Not listed.

dnsbl.ahbl.org
-Not listed.

dnsbl.net.au
-Not listed.

bl.emailbasura.org
-Not listed.

bl.deadbeef.com
-Not listed.

psbl.surriel.com
-Not listed.

dnsbl.rangers.eu.org
-Not listed.

block.blars.org
-Not listed.

The techs that come to your house are clueless. I was trying to explain the
difference between a bridge and a router to the tech when I was told "man
that's way over my head, we just hook'em up." Anyway I got to speak with
their provisioning department and they seemed to know how to convert the SMC
8014 to a media convertor/bridge/ 4 port switch which was painless.

Now I just have to plan out my DNS structure, and transfer control either to
my DNS server if I decide to go that route or have someone else host it, and
get Comcast to change the PTR records. I'm told they have a web portal to do
this so keep your fingers crossed. Then get some cheap cert's and digital
ID's.

Speed is excellent, from Speakeasy's speed test site I see anywhere from
15m/1.5m(Test to NY) to 3m/1.5m(Test To SF).

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint
F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD  BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955