Kristian Erik Hermansen on 22 Jan 2008 17:19:40 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Adventures in PCMCIA wireless

On Jan 22, 2008 4:19 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
>  I've been using Suse since version 7 or 8 and it has always warned me, then
> asked for my permission via a yes or no conformation whether or not to
> upgrade the kernel. But my question wasn't about which distro is better. I
> was just curious why people go to all the trouble with these ....... less
> popular versions of Linux when they seem to me to have problems doing
> technically more advanced stuff.
>
> Why do people seem to dislike OpenSuse and like Ubuntu more? Most people
> work out of a bash or zsh terminal. You've seen one bash or zsh shell you
> have seen them all. It seems kind of fad-ish to me. I remember when Gentoo
> was all the rage; and I just now struggled to remember its name. This was
> back when Gentoo came without X support.
>
> Again just curious, not trying to start a debate over which distro is
> better(we all know it's better with BSD :-) ). Just why people seem to chose
> the distro that they do.

I prefer aptitude over yum and dpkg over rpm.  I also like the fact
that Ubuntu has a lots of packages.  Gentoo has more, but I don't like
waiting hours to install them :-)
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"Know something about everything and everything about something."