Eric on 24 Jan 2008 08:44:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Odd hardware problem

Amul:

Good point.  My UPS has the capability of displaying the power being supplied so
I powered the Windows workstation off (the workstations share the UPS) and shut
down the monitor (about 35 watts).  The previous load for this workstation was
85 Watts.  Now, it's 75 watts.  I attribute that to the new supply being more
efficient (even at such a "light" load) than the old one.

I chose a more powerful (and expensive) supply because:

1. Athlon chips are supposedly picky about power so I wanted to be well above
    any limit - whatever that might be - that would annoy the processor.

2. I plan on adding peripherals to the system (more drives and a more power-
    hungry video card are on the list).

3. This is my main work computer.  I use it about 10 hours a day and when it's
    down I'm cryin'.  I wanted the most capability and reliability(*) that I
    could get for a "reasonable" cost. I did not go for the $200+ power supplies
    because I did not perceve the value/$ ratio was high enough to warrant the
    much increased cost.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'll check out the review link you reference.
"Greener" is good in my opinion and I'm glad that you prompted me to test the
new power demand.  Nice to know that it's actually lower! :-)

Eric

  (*) For example, I use ECC RAM and a motherboard that supports ECC despite the
added cost and (small) performance penalty because of the reliability.

--
#  Eric Lucas
#