Bill Diehl on 2 Feb 2008 09:41:38 -0800

[PLUG] Debian-SAMBA Goal Summary

Dear Members:

When I first posted to this list, my primary goal was to find out if my
queries were appropriate for this group.  That is why I did not post
much detail.  I greatly appreciate your reception.  Now that I know
you are all OK with my questions, I can summarize my goals.

Of highest priority is getting networking set up among my Debian-
based computer and the 2 other Windows 98SE computers in our
house for file/folder and printer sharing with my computer being the
host.  My research led me to believe that SAMBA was the preferred
method to connect a Linux machine to Windows machines.

Second, it looks as if I will have to abandon my touchpad (built into
my keyboard) because the manufacture does not know when it will
release the Linux driver under development.  So, I understand that
Logitech supports Linux well and I will want to find a good wired,
PS/2, optical, scroll-wheel mouse (perhaps with 3 buttons) with
drivers for Debian and Win98SE so I can configure pointer speed,
size, etc.

Third, I would like to find a utility that replaces PaperPort, to which I
print statements and receipts to archive in digital format.  PaperPort
creates .max graphic images, which may be bitmaps or TIFF - I am
not sure.  Because I have so many of these images and it is
convenient to keep digital documents, rather than wasting paper, I
would like to find something compatible.  If such is not available, I
could start using PDFs - which would lead me to find a good PDF
creator/converter/printer driver (I currently use PDF995 with
Win98SE).

Fourth, I have a U.S. Robotics Courier V.Everything Fax/Modem
which I use to fax documents directly from applications via HotFax
Message Center through COM2.  I will need to find Linux
compatible drivers and fax software so I can continue to fax
documents when needed.

Fifth, being able to continue using my AFGA SnapScan 1212u
scanner would be greatly desired (or replace it with one having
Linux and Win98SE support).  AFGA sold its scanner division and
very little support is available for this scanner from the new
company.

Right now, the above are what keeps me from using Debian as my
main and preferred OS (vs. Windows, that is).  When I first
embarked on learning to use computers 20+ years ago, I started
with DOS 3.3, a book by Peter Norton, and a mentor.  It was fun
playing with batch files, ANSI codes, and alternate configurations.
Learning to tweak Linux configuration files to make things work as I
want them brings back some of that fun.  I suspect, though, I will
have to learn it step-by-step with mentors and published materials
just as I did with DOS and Windows over the years.

BACK STORY:

Through multiple trials, I learned how to get a bare bones install of
Debian-Etch.  When it first booted, all I had to work with was a
command prompt.  Using various books and online sources, I
began to install only what I wanted.  It was not so much a matter of
speed but my desire to minimize the clutter and overhead from
installing things that did not serve my purposes.  For a newbie, I
thought I did well when I accomplished the following:

Installed and used Aptitude to install only desired apps, like:
Midnight Commander
IceWM
Text Editors (can't remember their names, now)
OpenOffice
IceWeasle
IceDove
Adobe Reader
PCmanFM
CUPS for 2 USB printers (HP LJ 1200, Canon i560)
Audio mixer (can't remember which one(s))
Some others that I can't remember right off.

When needed, I used a text editor to tweak the configuration files
to refine the apps, like IceWM so the menus worked as I wanted
and X to set up dual monitors on an old ATi Radeon VE (7000)
dual-head video card.  Eventually, I'd like to learn how to set each
monitor as a separate desktop, rather than an extended desktop.
Unfortunately, not being able to resolve the 5 issues noted above
made me revert back to using Win98SE and I've now forgotten
most of what I learned.  Hopefully I will recall much when I start
working with Debian again.

UBANTU:

I was all ready to go with Ubantu, before deciding on Debian, until I
learned that it would not work with my preferred boot commander
(System Commander).  It did run slowly on my machine from the
CD, as I expected, but there was something about it that was not
appealing to me at the time.  A young fellow who I helped with
partitioning his hard drive and installing Ubantu thinks it is just as
wonderful as many on this list do.  I have nothing against Ubantu, I
just wanted to start from scratch and create a system configuration
that suited me just for fun.  So, I chose Debian.

RESOURCES:

To accomplish my goals with Debian, I know I need help and I want
to have fun with it (Windows has been useful but not much fun).
Helpful mentors, books, lists, forums, websites, etc. are what I will
need as I plod along learning Debian and Linux step-by-step.  At
this time, I don't have the time, energy, or ability to play with
different distros.  Considering how much I've achieved with Debian
so far, the few goals that I listed above should be achievable.  If I
have to abandon Debian, then I will consider other distro, as others
have recommended.

STARTING AGAIN:

Before I can post more specific questions and perhaps
configuration files/settings for review, I have to refamiliarize myself
with what I've installed and configured.  I will also utilize the
resources that have been offered so far.  It may be slow going but
having connected with you folks has given me new hope and
inspiration.  Thank you for your support.

With Gratitude,
Bill Diehl