brent timothy saner on 2 Feb 2008 19:56:42 -0800

Re: [PLUG] I'm Convinced To Try Ubuntu

Bill Diehl wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2008 at 18:58, Bob Heise wrote:
>
> That is a good point to know, Bob.  Perhaps I do not need to be as
> concerned about unnecessary installations with a Linux distro as
> with Windows.
it's true. there are multiple ways to install things, multiple ways of
stripping down to a leaner install, etc.
>  I had spent so much time removing bloatware and
> crapware from the Windows machines that I worked on (including
> my own) over the years that I just don't want to deal with it
> anymore.
and you even get bloat from the distributor! dell, hp, etc.
> If a program needs other toolkits/libraries to fully function
> properly, then I don't mind.  It is when stuff gets installed and
> loaded just because the folks in Redmond want to control how I
> use my computer that bothers me.
it's usually not a big deal. most of the time you can find all of the
tools you'll want under just one of the major toolkits.
> The Linux camp seems a lot
> more humane and ethical in putting computing power where it
> belongs.

if there's one thing we GNU/Linux folks love, it's providing multiple
choices. sometimes we're a bit too zealous in this, but i'd rather have
too many choices than too little. :)

--
Brent Saner
215.264.0112(cell)

Bill Gates is to hacking as Sid Vicious was to the Sex Pistols:
no talent, everyone hates him, and he's just in it for the fame and money.

GPG INFO:
pub   1024D/832D950A 2008-01-26
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com>
uid                  Brent Timothy Saner (ACE Technology Group, www.acetechgroup.com) <sanerb@acetechgroup.com>