Matthew Rosewarne on 8 Feb 2008 16:41:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Simple Hard drive Encryption?

On Friday 08 February 2008, Sasha R wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend an easy to use, free, linux based
> and preferably open source  program to encrypt a harddive  to the point
> that a person with physical access to the external harddrive could not view
> the data and would have to reformat the drive to use it for anything.

The best way to encrypt a hard drive is to use cryptsetup, which sets up
device-mapper encryption available in 2.6 kernels.  It is far faster than
loopback-based approaches and is readable by any Linux version from the last
few years.  Chances are, your distribution has a way to set this up easily.

TrueCrypt is useful if you need to use an encrypted device from both Windows
and Linux.  It's not in the kernel, so it usually needs to be built and
installed manually. If you only plan on using the drive with Linux, it's
better to use device-mapper encryption.