Matthew Rosewarne on 10 Feb 2008 18:27:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Configuring sources.list & Device Access in Debian

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Bill Diehl wrote:
> 1. What is the proper syntax for the apt sources.list file so that
> downloaded deb files can be available for installation using apt-get
> install or aptitude?  The syntax provided in one book
> (file:/<directory>) does not work and other variations did not work.

To install manually-downloaded .deb files, you can use the command
	dpkg -i yourpackage.deb
dpkg won't install dependencies though, so if it complains about something
being missing, you'll want to run
	apt-get -f install
or investiate it in aptitude.

If you're running testing, a better option is to use gdebi
(package "gdebi-core" for command line, 'gdebi" for GNOME, "gdebi-kde" for
KDE)

> 2. Having installed xsane as Kristian suggested, neither KDE or SANE
> itself can find my scanner when I log-in as a user.  I finally
> discovered that when I log in as root, SANE and my scanner work.  This
> issue has apparently visited others on various forums but there was no
> clear resolution that I could find to make the scanner available when
> just logging in as a user.  Any help with this?

You may need to add yourself to the "scanner" group, or whatever group owns
the scanner device.  You should be able to check using
the "sane-find-scanner" command.

You can add a user to a group by running (as root)
adduser someuser somegroup
or you can use a UI like "kuser"
I'd recommend looking at the list of common groups, which you can find in
/usr/share/doc/base-passwd/users-and-groups.html
Debian doesn't put users into very many groups by default, which can be
frustrating if you haven't set up Debian before.  If you plan to add more
user accounts, you might want to edit /etc/adduser.conf and uncomment the
lines with
	EXTRA_GROUPS="..."
and
	ADD_EXTRA_GROUPS=1
For desktop users, you'll want to have at least these in EXTRA_GROUPS:
	audio
	cdrom
	dialout	(for serial devices other than modems)
	dip	(for modems)
	games	(anyone can play games, this is just to save scores)
	lpadmin	(change printer settings)
	plugdev
	netdev	(if using networkmanager)
	sambashare (share folders over Samba)
	scanner
	video

By the way, KDE uses the "kooka" program for scanning, whereas GNOME uses
xsane.