Brian Vagnoni on 12 Feb 2008 18:43:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Finding a motherboard with a BIOS that does not block CPU virtualization

Uh don't buy from Newegg. You don't work with any channel partners (time to grow up and work with real business people, friendly suggestion and IMHO). If you are reselling I suggest going through and getting an account from Ingram Micro or Tech Data. You won't get old stuff. Newegg again IMHO is typically for end users who don't know any better. There are also hardware revisions on a lot of motherboards you could have an old hardware version even though you have an updated bios.  Only stepping huh?  E stepping can mean a 10 - 20% increase in performance among other benefits. Of course Newegg isn't going to tell you that. I recommend Supermicro or Tyan, though everyone has a preference. Sometimes paying a couple of dollars more from a real reseller gets you current equipment as well as a face to talk with and get support from.

I can tell you right now from experience there is very little markup in the computer hardware business. Unless you are selling thousands of boxes the money is in support and software. So you should really deal with someone who doesn't have a warehouse with a lot of inventory getting old as it will ensure that you get the most up to date equipment. Then there is also the problem with the rate at which computer equipment deprecates.

Typically what I see at the distributor level is brand new models and what I see on the web at bargain prices and super stores are old phased out models. Again go to http://www.techdata.com or http://www.ingrammicro.com and pay the extra couple of bucks if that.

Brian Vagnoni

PGP Digital Fingerprint

F076 6EEE 06E5 BEEF EBBD BD36 F29E 850D FC32 3955

From: K.S. Bhaskar [mailto:bhaskar@bhaskars.com]
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List [mailto:plug@lists.phillylinux.org]
Sent: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 17:30:59 -0500
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Finding a motherboard with a BIOS that does not block CPU virtualization

On Feb 12, 2008 5:11 PM, Matt Mossholder <matt@mossholder.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-02-12 at 17:10 -0500, K.S. Bhaskar wrote:
> > [KSB] Matt, in both motherboards, I have not found a BIOS setting to
> > enable virtualization. If it exists, it is a well buried secret not
> > shared with hoi polloi like me. Any idea where to look? Thanks.
> >
> > Regards
> > -- Bhaskar
>
> What models are the motherboards?

[KSB2] Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 and GA-M68SM-S2. I'll take a look again
next time I boot the machines (probably tomorrow), but could not find
anything that looked like a switch for virtualization in the BIOS on
either. Both boards are recent and have recent BIOSes (the latest
production releases are just stepping updates).

-- Bhaskar