James Barrett on 13 Feb 2008 16:13:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 05:53:31PM -0500, TuskenTower wrote:
> In the past, I have always added HDs to my Linux machines and that was
> pretty simple.  This time, I want to remove the HD that hosts my root
> filesystem.

snip...

> Is there a better way to do this?  And can I
> do this without having to drop into single user mode to turn off
> everything else (I can dream)?

Is there a reason why you can not do this under knoppix?

> I do realize that I'm going to mess up my fstab.  Is there anything
> else that might complain about what I am doing?

Your bootloader won't complain.  It wont be doing much of anything from
a drive that is not connected...  Restructuring /etc/lilo.conf or
/boot/grub/menu.lst (or the equivalent) is reccomended.  I would suggest
you at least look through it.

I absolutely recommend that you do this with knoppix.

--
James Barrett