Matt Mossholder on 14 Feb 2008 13:54:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation (Ubuntu runlevels)

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 15:21 -0500, JP Vossen wrote:
> Yeah, IIRC Upstart upsets the whole run-level apple cart.  In
> particular, again IIRC, it ignores the usual conventions of run-level
> 1,2,3.  I think the trick to starting headless is to turn off GDM (or
> KDM, or whatever).
>
> Having said all of that, I can't find supporting docs quickly.
> Hopefully someone else will clarify or correct me.
>
> Later,
> JP
> ----------------------------|:::======|-------------------------------
> JP Vossen, CISSP            |:::======|        jp{at}jpsdomain{dot}org
> My Account, My Opinions     |=========|      http://www.jpsdomain.org/
> ----------------------------|=========|-------------------------------
> Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
> Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
> and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
> has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.

Upstart hasn't really done away with runlevels (yet). Right now, it is
really just emulating init. If you check /etc/event.d , you'll see that
it really just runs scripts appropriate to whatever runlevel the is. In
particular, /etc/event.d/rc-default performs the magic to determine the
default runlevel, based on kernel command-line args, presence of
an /etc/inittab file, or runlevel 2 by default.

	Why 2 was chosen, and the old networkless runlevel 2 done away with, I
have no idea. It could have been implemented within upstart's
configuration, they just chose not to.

	--Matt