Stephen Gran on 15 Feb 2008 04:27:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation (Ubuntu runlevels)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 04:53:42PM -0500, Matt Mossholder said:

> 	Why 2 was chosen, and the old networkless runlevel 2 done away with, I
> have no idea. It could have been implemented within upstart's
> configuration, they just chose not to.

This is inherited from Debian.  Debian has always had runlevels 0,1,6,
and all the others.  By default, runlevels 2,3,4 and 5 are treated the
same, and left to the local admin to configure differently if that's how
they want them.  The seperate set up of different runlevels is a
redhat'ism in the linux world (I know many other *nixes do it, too, but
not all that many linuxes bother any more).
|  Stephen Gran                  | The proof of the pudding is in the      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | eating.   -- Miguel de Cervantes        |