TuskenTower on 15 Feb 2008 07:21:14 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Hard drive consolidation

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 2:45 AM, linux <linux@jondz.net> wrote:
>  > Holy smokes!!! Ubuntu is running with the GUI in run level 2.
>  >
>  > $ ls /etc/rcS.d/*networking
>  > /etc/rcS.d/S40networking
>  >
>  > I thought networking is supposed to be OFF in single user mode.
>  > Anyone know what gives with this setup in Ubuntu?
>

>  i'm surprised also, i dont recall either way but i checked my
>  ubuntu/debian boxes they all are similar.  but /etc/rc1.d/ have a bunch
>  of K's in there plus a "S90single".

>From my Solaris daze, that I know that the S90single like scripts
simple transitions to rcS.d.  There is some intelligence behind this,
but I never tried figuring it out.  I verified that S90Single does in
fact just transition to single user mode.  For fun, I rebooted my
Linux desktop into Single User mode and networking was active.
Depressed at this sorry abuse of run levels, I forgot to send this
email yesterday.

Amul